Rackmode Signal Processors is a bundle of seven virtual effects and an instrument plugin that replicate the classic rack-mounted Moog Signal Processors of the 1970s and ‘80s
A Monument of Sound
Rackmode Signal Processors is a bundle of seven virtual effects and an instrument plugin that replicate the classic rack-mounted Moog Signal Processors of the 1970s and ‘80s. This exclusive collection is the first time this entire line of renowned analog treasures has been recreated as virtual effects. Rackmode also marks our latest collaboration with award-winning synth designer and DSP legend Mark Barton (MRB), who modeled the circuit-precise emulations based on the original rack-mounted hardware. The collection includes:
- Rackmode Vocoder (instrument and effects versions)
- Rackmode Phaser
- Rackmode Ring Modulator
- Rackmode String Filter
- Rackmode Frequency Shifter
- Rackmode Graphic EQ
- Rackmode Parametric EQ
We have expanded these awe-inspiring vintage effects with additional features aimed at today’s music producers, including presets, syncable LFOs, stereo processing, and full Apple Silicon M1 native support. And speaking of authenticity, these effects capture not only the deep sounds and capabilities of the original Signal Processor line, but also the elegant look and heritage of their rack-mounted enclosures.
A Stack of Historic Proportions
In the late ‘70s and early ‘80s, Moog Music Inc., (then owned by Norlin Music, Inc.) wanted to extend their reach further into the production studio. They created the Signal Processor family of rack-mounted products featuring the 16 Channel Vocoder (designed by pioneer Harald Bode), the 12 Stage Phaser, and the Ten Band Graphic and Three Band Parametric Equalizers. Other related rack products were the Harald Bode-designed Frequency Shifter and Ring Modulator, and the singular String Filter created by Moog’s Custom Engineering Group.
The Moog Signal Processors have found a place in production facilities worldwide, both past and present. Artists like Wendy Carlos, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Tangerine Dream, John Carpenter, Genesis, Jan Hammer, Mouse on Mars, and Coldplay have used them to shape their distinctive sounds. And producers as diverse as Giorgio Moroder, Mike Elizondo, and Sylvia Massy have cited these black boxes as treasured parts of their studio gear. Today these units are increasingly scarce and fetch prices far above their original value – that is, if they can be found at all.
The Future is Yours
Cherry Audio’s Rackmode Signal Processors collection represents a first-time opportunity for producers to explore these studio-quality vintage effects. When combined with today’s modern production workflow, experimentation will lead to inspiration, and an old approach to sound can unexpectedly result in something completely new.
If tracked down and purchased today, the original hardware would cost well over $20,000. Cherry Audio is introducing the entire Rackmode Signal Processors bundle at an unheard-of price of $99, less than $13 per plugin!
Rackmode Signal Processors Features
- Eight circuit-precise emulations based on the original rack-mounted hardware:
- Rackmode Vocoder – Rackmode includes two versions for this 16 channel classic: an instrument plugin with a built-in dual oscillator, and an effects plugin to modify other input formats and DAW tracks for unlimited processing flexibility
- Rackmode Phaser – Based on the definitive 12 stage original known for its lush, sweeping textures
- Rackmode Ring Modulator – Based on Moog’s Harald Bode Ring Modulator with Squelch control
- Rackmode String Filter – Based on the extremely rare system created by Moog’s Custom Engineering Group, this module utilizes filter arrays that mimic acoustic string instruments
- Rackmode Frequency Shifter – Mixes two external inputs or sidechains a single input with its own built-in oscillator. The Frequency Shifter creates colorful, often metallic effects by modifying the ratio of incoming frequency components
- Rackmode Graphic EQ – Ten selectable frequency bands with Drive and Gain controls, capable of creating exotic effects when used with other instruments and effects
- Rackmode Parametric EQ – Three bands for sculpting Low, Mid, and High-frequency ranges
- Provided as individual standalone applications and separate DAW plugins. Please note: there is no stack effects styled interface.
- User preset library, including over 150 presets for common uses and instruments
- Sync to DAW master tempo
- Selectable mono/stereo modes
- Highly optimized coding for high performance with ultra-low CPU load
- Full MIDI control and DAW automation for all controls
- Full Apple Silicon M1 native support
Rackmode Signal Processors is available in AU, VST, VST3, and AAX formats, and as standalone applications.
A free seven-day demo of Rackmode Signal Processors is available. This demo will play white noise periodically, but is otherwise unlimited.
macOS Requirements: macOS 10.9 or above (including macOS 12), 64-bit required. Native Apple M1 processor support. Quad-core computer with 8GB of RAM recommended. Rackmode Vocoders require a DAW capable of sidechaining.
Windows Requirements: Windows 7 or above (including Windows 11), 64-bit required. Quad-core computer with 8GB of RAM recommended. Rackmode Vocoders require a DAW capable of sidechaining.
Moog® is a registered trademark of Moog Music, Inc. There is no association, affiliation, or endorsement of Cherry Audio or its products by Moog Music, Inc.